Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 Skagway

Today is sort of a day of rest. I visit the trail office and give a report of my hike as they had asked. I purchased a map of the trail as a keepsake and they also gave me a bear bell... both are things I should have had when I started the trip, but if I had the bell, I may not have seen the second pair of bear.

I also head back to the National Park building and watch another video on the gold rush. I then visit the gift shop and purchase my Klondike pin and some books for gifts. I did most of my souvenir shopping there because the store supports the park. Something I do whenever I visit a NP or Forest Service location.

I also purchase another $6.00 tall Starbuck's latte` from one of the local jewelry stores, sounds like the appropriate place to get one, considering the price. :-)

Laundry is next. On the trail, I put my used clothing into plastic bags to keep my pack neat, when I open the bags, I realize why se sere segregated at the Bennett restaurant and on the train.

Back to B&B for a nap. I finally connect with Elizabeth, my friends friend that lives in Skagway and we agree to meet for pizza that evening. Good pizza and good conversation and she suggests giving me a tour of Skagway on Thursday, from a locals point of view. I think that is a smashing good idea.

I tell Elizabeth that I am thinking of hiking the Dewey Lakes trail on Wednesday.  I had heard good things about the beauty of the lakes, especially the upper lake.  She told me the hike to the lower lake was pretty easy, but that it got pretty steep on the trail to the upper lake.  I might want to reconsider that idea, every year Search and Rescue had to go extract people that got lost, hurt or just couldn't finish the trip back down.  I told her that I would go if it wasn't pouring rain, and if I went, I would be going to the the upper lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment