Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday August 29 Happy Camp to Bare Loon lake

Sunday Morning and it is a clear day. The weather has been wonderful. Although we have had overcast mornings and early afternoons, we have not had any rain. There were a couple times when we were misted on for a few minutes, or when we were in the clouds climbing the staircase when it was very damp – THERE HAS BEEN NO RAIN. The weather forecasts I viewed on line indicated at least showers everyday if not outright rain. Friends assured me that this was the rainy season in Alaska so I could expect to get rain. I stated that I expected good weather and “You Gotta Have Faith!” Having faith has worked so far.

The days hike started down hill and across a flat about a quarter mile, and then it started up hill – steep climbs and then a bit of flat and then up again and then flat. And then down and back up again. The path followed along a lake and then turned to go up and around a hill only to come back along the lake or another lake. This pattern repeated itself throughout the morning. The sun is out and reflections of the hills in lake after lake. The scenery is beautiful and inviting, but you can tell the land is inhospitable. There is no way to scratch out a living from the thin rocky soil. It appears good for one thing, and that is to look at and enjoy.

As I trudge through this day, I think about the gnarled scrub pines I am passing. Old and twisted, thin yet alive in this harsh environment. I compare them to the minors that had to hike this 33 mile stretch of treacherous ground for up to 40 or more round trips – during the winter months with temperatures falling to 30 and 60 below zero. How did they do it? How did they keep their dream of gold and riches alive through this hell on earth?

I look at the beauty of the wild flowers and notice their frailty, their slight hold in the earth, yet they thrive for a few months unless a hiker or animal brushes against them and tears lose their tenuous hold in the thin top soil of this harsh plain.

I watch the melted snow water tumble down the hillsides as it it released from glaciers and I use it to nourish me and quench my thirst, yet if I were to fall into the lake, I would have a high chance of dying from the shock of the cold or hypothermia if I could not get warm again.

I take the time to sit on the side of the trail and take in the beauty and to listen to the quiet. I realize that in the last 4 days I have not heard many sounds of civilization. I think I heard three planes in the last four days and no other mechanical sound. I have not used the MP3 player that I bought in case I wanted to hear music, because the sounds that nature played for me, were enough to salve my soul.

I understand that thinking positively can bring the things I want to my life; like believing, without a doubt that I would experience the perfect weather for the trip.

And on this day, I made a decision that I meant to make on this trip. I have applied for a manager position in the IT department, not sure if I wanted it, because I love my job and I like my life stress free. What has happened on this trip has introduced me to a number of people that love to travel and the time, will and money, to other countries for an adventure. I have discovered a part of me that is starting to develop, a need for adventure, a desire to have time and money to travel, and a realization that I am not afraid to travel to other locations and countries. So I will do my best in the interview I will have when I return to work and if the job of manager is offered to me, I will accept it if I can negotiate some safety net for a year or two. This will not only pay me more so I can afford to travel, but will give me four weeks of vacation so I will have the time to travel.

This section of the trail is hard for me, and I consider it the hardest part of the trail. It is not steep like the staircase, but it is up and down. There are a lot of little stones I need to avoid which require shorter steps or the twisting of a foot to plant it firmly so I can take another step. Another thing is it is hotter and at times the trail seems to disappear – the cairns, which used to be frequent, are sometimes missing or knocked over. Luckily there are some beautiful places to get off the side of the trail and watch nature. I do this every time I find that I am “doing” the trail rather than experiencing it, which is easy to do when the moving gets boring.

I was planing on spending five nights on trail, but have been thinking about doing it in four. I am running low on space for pictures and my camera batteries are failing fast. I was going to spend tonight at Lindeman City but everyone else is going on to Bare Loon lake where I was going to spend tomorrow night. I am unfamiliar with the bonding I have been doing on this trip, a bonding of shared experience and hardship and accomplishment. It happened so fast, I started feeling it on the second day. Now that the trip is on the close side of completion, I realize that I will miss these people if I don't finish the trip with them. I will go to Lindeman City and check in with the ranger to wee if it is ok to continue on to Bare Loon and to take the train back a day early. It is assumed that since it is so late in the season, that there will be no problem doing so. I trudge on. I make it to Lindeman City and find that the ranger has gone to the warming center station on the pass and will not be back that day, I visit the interpretive center for the history information and to get my certificate of completion. And then I continue on to Bare Loon lake.

Bare Loon lake is by far the prettiest spot on the trip. The cooking shelter is actually a gazebo type structure open all around. Water is from the lake and the scariest proposition for drinking water on the whole trip as people have swam and washed in the water and it is not moving very swiftly.  The haunting sound of the loons cry and the Loney laugh they make echo across the water.  Haunting and comforting.

Tonight is the best chance of seeing the aurora borealis – clear skies. I am tired and go to bed as the sun is setting with promises from others that they will wake me if they see the lights, and I am expected to let them know if I wake in the night and see the lights. I wake a few hours later and it is cold. I finally crawl out of my sleeping bag to go to the out house. It is crystal clear and I see stars, but there is a lot of light pollution from the ¾ moon and I am sure this would hinder any chance of seeing the northern lights and I head back to bed.

I find that I am happy that I came on this trip. I was the only one not concerned with me doing the hike alone – I knew there would be other hikers on the trail, but I didn't expect to hook up with this crowd. A blessing. I have challenged myself and overcome some fears and have enriched myself. Somehow, these changes in me make the cost of fulfilling this dream,worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. David, you have leaned to fly and you did it all on your own! you have taken your fears, your apprehensions of the unknown and pushed through to places you wanted to go. I cried when I read your blog, as I can relate to pushing through my own fears and doing what makes ME happy. pushing through the crap we were taught as young people and then letting go of it, is a powerful thing and should be celebrated! Maybe not with Vodka & gadoraid } : but Celebrated non the less! I hope you continue to push yourself and grow and learn and experience everything life can be for you! Big Hugs
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete