Sunday, September 12, 2010

Life changing experiences

Referring back to my first post on this blog, I pondered if dreams were the catalyst for life changing events, or if life changing events were the catalyst for dreams. I have been pondering that idea for the last few weeks to better understand the process; wondering what comes first the dream or the life changing event, and have decided it doesn't matter because it can happen in either order. I also realize that life changing events do not have to be big life productions.


Life changing events can occur simply by making a decision to do something; or a chance encounter and discussion with someone. It can be the decision to pursue a dream or desire, or the event can be thrust upon you from outside people, events, encounters. We have the opportunity to experience many of these events if we are open to what is occurring around us. Unfortunately, I, like many people, have been closed minded and comfortable in my safe little cocoon - dreaming of more adventure in my life; closed to opportunities that have presented themselves to me across the years; afraid to step outside my predictable world that I am trying to control, and accept the adventure the universe is offering to me.

So a short outline of a life changing event:

1. 2009 - Week long volunteer vacation with WTA

2. Conversation around a campfire

3. Settig the date to hike the Checkout

4. Being willing to hike it by myself

5. Experiencing the Chilkoott - 2010

6. Meeting and talking with Arabelle

So who is Arabelle, she is a beautiful young French woman with an adventurous heart and spirit, open to new experiences. Willing to accept the adventure and friendship the universe has to offer. Happy, positive and trusting that things will work out for her in her travels. She is constantly learning about life and open to new ways of thinking and in search of herself and a better internal life. What I know of her story is an inspiration to me to start pursuing and accepting the adventures the universe is offering me. After all, life is for living.

Another of the hikers on the trail is another Frenchman that is in Canada on a work VISA and took the time to experience the Checkout.

The couple from North Wales, who visited and then ended up living in Australia for two years, and took the time on their way back to Wales to experience the Checkout, and then will probably return to Australia after their visit home.

These four people have been catalyst of change in me and they don't know it... now to honor that gift, from them, is up to me.

1 comment: