Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wednesday 8/25

This morning I woke around 5:30 and tried to snooze for awhile, because breakfast wasn't until 7:00, but I didn't have much luck. I slept really well last night – very comfortable mattress and pillows.

I started out the day by walking down Broadway street and taking a few pictures of one of the mountains cloaked in clouds. As I walked from 7th and Broadway, where I am staying, to 2nd street ,cruise ship passengers started filling the streets. I headed directly to the National Park building for information on the Chilkoot Trail and registering for my trip. I was told that I needed to do that across the street. I also indicated that I wanted to take the ranger led walking tour of Skagway at 10:00 and was given a ticket for that purpose. It was 9:00 and a film about Skagways' place in the Yukon Gold Rush was about to start, so I stepped into the theater to watch it.

After the movie, I went to register for the hike and entry into Canada. The ranger talked for about 20 minutes on trial behaviors and I was on my way. Back to the NP building for the walking tour and as I waited the area filled up with these geriatric persons and I decided that I would take the tour after I returned from the hike. I instead, attended a play written by one of the rangers about two of the individuals that participated in the gold rush, a man and a woman that never found gold and the interaction they may have had, if they had met. It was full of historical facts and quite interesting.

After the play, I went to another little room and watched a film about Safety in Bear Country, where it was explained that I was to calmly stand up to the bear if one approached me. I was also to remain calm and talk calmly even if the bear charged me, because charges are usually ended before contact is made. Right.

I then watched a video about the Chilkoot Trail and two women entered and sat down to watch the movie. When it ended, I asked if they were going to hike the trail and they replied that they were, They are leaving tomorrow, and will be on trail 5 days like me. One is from Scandinavia and the other from Denmark. They needed to watch the bear video so I told them I would see them on the trail.

I did a lot of walking through town and popped into a few stores and bought a stocking hat (recommended) and a floppy bush hat for the sun.

I have unpacked my suit cases and loaded most of my pack, I only need to pack my toilet kit and the clothes that I am wearing today.

The day has been mostly cloudy, with rain and about 90 minutes of sun late this afternoon. I will be on my way to the trailhead in about 13 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment